Nanotechnology has promised a new era of productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness across myriads of applications and industries. The achievements of nanotechnology are astonishing in the 21st century. Along with several other nanomaterials, nickel micron powder has also attracted much interest and considerations because of its unique chemical and physical properties. The nickel micron powder has a high surface area to volume ratio and several other unique properties that make this material one of the most coveted nanomaterials in the world. The high surface area and high reactivity of the pure nickel micron powder are the most desired and widely exploited properties that are employed in several industries. Because of those remarkable properties, it is widely used as a catalyst in various types of chemical reactions such as hydrogenation and waste management of dangerous chemicals. It is also widely used in sintering processes of metals and ceramics. In short, nickel micron powder is the miracle of the modern nanotechnology that has already established itself among the most useful and advantageous nanoparticles.
Nanotechnology is the science, technology, and engineering that deals with nanoparticles of the very small size usually less than 100 nm where individual atoms and molecules are manipulated to achieve nanomaterials that exhibit phenomenal characteristics entirely different from bulk materials. It means nanotechnology is the study of extremely tiny things and their potential applications. This new field of research is so amazingly handy that it already has found uses in several other scientific fields such as material sciences, biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering.
Nanotechnology is currently the area of intensive research because of the advantages of nanomaterials in a wide variety of potential applications in the biomedical, electronic field, and optics. It offers advantages on several fronts in service of mankind because of the unique physical and chemical properties of the nanomaterials. The most remarkable properties include superparamagnetism, high surface area to volume ratio, greater surface area, and several others. They also exhibit great potential for uses in several applications across several different industries ranging from environmental protection to medical and biosciences.
Nanotechnology is admired for its potential to significantly enhance the efficient energy consumption, environmental protection, and solve several health issues. It also has the potential to increase manufacturing efficiency with reduced costs. The applications that use nanomaterials are much smaller in size, lighter, and cheaper yet with greater efficiency and functionality.
Click Image to Learn More About World of 3D Printers and Nanotechnology
Nanotechnology completely changes the complexion of the bulk materials to change them into nanoparticles and micron powders or any other desired form. Such newly attained nanomaterials are more important and useful than bulk materials. The reason is the remarkable change in physical and chemical properties as the bulk materials are converted into nanoparticles of extremely small sizes. That is the reason that nanoparticles are the new focus of the material sciences and technology. However, there is a lot to discover because those tiny particles have a huge number of mysteries waiting for the discovery. Nanotechnology has now impacted several fields such as medical, environmental applications, engineering, communication, materials sciences, computing, chemistry, biology, etc. Improved manufacturing processes, water purification, nanomedicines, large-scale infrastructure auto-fabrication, nutrition, better food production, energy systems, environmental protection are among the most prominent benefits of nanotechnology.
Nickel micron powder has a high surface area to volume ratio and is more reactive than the bulk form. That is the reason that nickel micron powder has found various uses across several industries. Nickel powder is an extremely efficient catalyst for several reactions because of its high surface area and reactivity. It is also being used as solid propellants that significantly enhance combustion stability, combustion efficiency, and combustion heat as well. It is also used to give unique magnetic qualities to magnetic fluids because of its unique ferromagnetic properties. Nickel micron powder is an ultra-pure form of nickel with a purity of more than 99.99%. It also comes in various particle sizes ranging from 1 nm to 100 nm. The efficiency and effectiveness of the nickel micron powder depend on the purity and particle size.
During prehistoric times, fine nanoparticles were once used by artisans by glassmakers and potters, including fine particles of metals. For example, the Lycurgus Cup in the British Museum and a piece of Roman Pottery near 400 after Christ is believed to contain nanosized gold. Gradually, the use of the nanoparticles and research on these materials accelerated. In 1857, Michael Faraday described for the very first time several properties of metallic nanoparticles, including optical properties. The true potential of the nanomaterials was further highlighted by a physicist Richard Feynman started a discussion entitled “There is plenty of room at the bottom” at a meeting of American Physical Society on December 29, 1959. Feynman, in his talk, spoke about new possible ways to manipulate and control atoms and molecules of different elements. After a very long time, Professor Norio Taniguchi used the term nanotechnology for this new science. During the 1980s, a scanning tunneling microscope paved the way for the scientists to see individual atoms and hence, at last, the nanotechnology started its never-ending journey. No one knew back then that it would cause great wonders one day. During the 1970s and 1980s, thorough studies were conducted on the nanotechnology to fully research and exploit the properties of the nanomaterials. The advancements in the field of nanotechnology are now touching the heights of brilliance. The nanoparticles and metallic micron powders are being extensively used across several industries and for research purposes.
Properties of Nickel Micron Powder
Nickel micron powder is extracted from nickel that is a Block D, Group 4, and Period 4 element. Nickel micron powder consists of black and high surface area spherical particles. These particles are usually of 5 nm to 100 nm in size, with a surface area of 5 to 50 m2/g range. Nickel is a hard and ductile transition metal with lustrous metallic silver appearance. It has a slow rate of oxidation that makes it corrosion resistant. The nickel is a good conductor of heat and electricity. It also shows magnetic properties below 345°C. There are only four ferromagnetic elements, and nickel is one among them, and it is used to produce various types of magnets for commercial purposes. It is more commonly found in nature in the form of ores and is rarely available as a free element. Moreover, it has several other unique physical and chemical properties that are evident in the nickel micron powder as well.
Nickel micron powder form of the nickel inherent its properties from nickel, and it consists of black spherical high surface area particles. Pure nickel micron powder form is the development to maximize the reactive surface area and exhibits great chemical activities as compared to the bulk form.
Applications of Nickel Micron Powder
The nickel micron powder has found its uses in various applications and processes across several industries.
- The nickel micron powder is used in combustion processes as a solid propellant that increases combustion efficiency, combustion heat, and combustion stability.
- The nickel micron powder is a very effective and efficient catalyst for various reactions such as hydrogenation and waste management of harmful substances. The high surface area significantly increases the catalytic efficiency of the nickel micron powder. Its use as a catalyst in vehicle tail gas treatment instead of precious metals like Platinum or rhodium can reduce the cost significantly.
- The nickel micron powder is used in a hydride battery and increases the power of the battery several times. It also significantly enhances the charge and discharge efficiency of the battery
- The nickel micron powder is being used in the production of magnetic fluids that are used in the fields of mechanical control, sound regulation, medical equipment, sealing, etc.
- The nickel micron powder is used as a conductive paste in several industries, such as the microelectronics industry for miniaturization of microelectronic devices, packaging, and connectivity. Nickel micron powder offers the greatest efficiency in this regard. It is most abundantly used in multilayer ceramic capacitors (MLCC) popular for offering high stability and low losses for resonant circuit applications.
- The nickel micron powder can also be used in fuel cells as a catalyst. It can replace expensive elements like Platinum and significantly reduces the manufacturing costs of the fuel cells. It also has the potential to enhance the discharge efficiency of the fuel cells.
- The nickel micron powder can also be used as a lubricant additive. When it is dispersed into the lubricant, it decreases the surface friction and can effectively repair the micro-defects of the surface friction.
- The nickel micron powder has some special electromagnetic properties that make it one of the best stealth materials.
- The nickel micron powder can also be used in magnetic recording applications. It has the ability to enhance the density by multiple times of high-performance storage information tapes and soft & hard magnetic disks.
- The nickel micron powder is also used as coating materials on non-metallic surfaces. When it is sprayed at non-metallic devices’ surfaces, it significantly increases the electrical conductivity under anaerobic conditions. It significantly increases the corrosion-resistance of the surfaces because of the low rate of reactivity.
- The nickel micron powder can also be used as a sintering additive in the metallurgical industry. It has a high surface area to volume ratio that has a high energy state. Those qualities make it one of the best sintering additive that can significantly reduce the sintering temperature in the production of ceramic and diamond tools.
- The researchers have also found that the nickel micron powder also has the potential and is suitable for forming multifunctional biopolymer structures. It has numerous advantages over other nanomaterials in this regard.
The modern nanotechnology has revolutionized the modern world and its technology by impacting several industries. Nickel micron powder is one such miracle of the advancements in the field of nanotechnology. Along with several other nanomaterials, nickel micron powder has also attracted much interest and considerations because of its unique chemical and physical properties. The high surface area to volume ratio and reactivity of the nickel micron powder has allowed it to find several uses across different types of industries. It is widely used as a catalyst and in various other applications such as high performing electrode materials, magnetic fluids, conductive paste, sintering additives, conductive coatings, combustion efficiency, magnetic recording, fuel cells, stealth materials, lubricant additives, etc. Further research is also going on to find further uses of the nickel micron powder for the service of mankind.